THIS JOB IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Carbon Trust: China Country Manager
The role’s main objective is to accelerate the development of Carbon Trust China, which is part of the not-for-dividend Carbon Trust group. Carbon Trust China is currently based in Beijing with a small team serving clients across China leveraging the expertise and resources of the Carbon Trust group globally. We are a trusted and respected partner on low-carbon policy, finance and technology to a diverse group of clients in China, including international and national organisations from both the public and private sectors.
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Country Manager remit will be:
- Business development: Initiate and develop business opportunities for Carbon Trust in China that involve both emission reductions and revenue generation, in line with the Carbon Trust’s China strategy.
- Management: Provide direction and leadership for Carbon Trust China initiatives and projects and help ensure that they meet or exceed client expectations. Line manage the Carbon Trust team in China, while working collaboratively with the rest of the Carbon Trust group to draw on resources from other offices as needed. Monitor client satisfaction.
- Strategy and reporting: Oversee the redevelopment and implementation of the Carbon Trust’s China strategy and provide input to the wider international strategy of the Carbon Trust. Provide regular reporting to London on direction and activity.
- Representation: Make speeches, deliver presentations and carry out media interviews that explain what Carbon Trust does while introducing our work to public and private organisations.
- Learning: Monitor the development of low carbon policy and technologies in China and provide information to the London Office on the local situation and market potential.
- Admin and compliance: Lead on health, safety and environment of all Carbon Trust China activity and employees.
We are looking for:
- Extensive experience in energy or climate-related consultancy or in a consulting role;
- Considerable experience of effective team leadership and line management;
- Considerable experience of working in China at a mid-to-senior level, including with national and/or local government departments and businesses, including a strong understanding of the public-private interface;
- Fluency in native Mandarin Chinese and English;
- Significant project management experience, including contract negotiation, managing finance and budgets, delivering high value, long term contracts on time and to budget;
- Demonstrated proficiency in business development, including a strong track record of developing successful proposals and winning clients in the low carbon space;
- A broad network of contacts in China’s low-carbon sector within government agencies, businesses, international organisations, research institutes and academia;
- Masters level qualification or equivalent in a relevant subject area (e.g. science, engineering, environment);
- Solid knowledge of accounting, finance, legal and HR practices in China;
- It would be advantageous to have deep content knowledge of at least one of the Carbon Trust’s core thematic areas, including renewable energy/energy efficiency policy and programmes, green finance, clean technology innovation, smart energy systems, energy access or sustainable urban development.
Closing Date: November 1, 2017
View other Carbon Trust jobs